Las Palomas de Taos has been the non-profit project of the Center for RelationaLearning, which was founded as a 501 (c)(3) multicultural, global education center in 1977. It is now one of the oldest educational non-profits in the state of New Mexico.
The work of Las Palomas was formally housed at the historic Mabel Dodge Luhan House in Taos, NM. Its major goal was the encouragement, support, and preservation of the history, art, and culture of the Southwest. Over 50,000 students, teachers, administrators, community members, artists, and visionaries from ages 8 to 80 have benefited from attending a training, workshop, or retreat conducted by Las Palomas.
Over the last thirty five years, Las Palomas has received over 20 grants, conducted more than 500 workshops worldwide, and achieved the following accomplishments often in partnership with the Center.
- Facilitated a youth leadership conference for American and Bosnian youth as a follow-up to the Dayton Peace Accords.
- Organized and conducted eight youth forums for the New Mexico State Legislature’s Education Study Committee.
- Designed and implemented a leadership retreat for the National Center for Community Education on creativity and renewal.
- Wrote a state-wide grant on school reform funded by the CS Mott Foundation.
- Conducted workshops on global education and student engagement in England and Australia.
- Organized presentations of Third Millennium Schools: The International Research and Best Practice for New Mexico and the National Community Education Association.
- Presented keynote presentations on Shaping the Future at the Annual West Virginia Education Association meeting.
- Developed proposals for the Albuquerque Public Schools and for Charter Schools in Albuquerque and Santa Fe that would utilize a comprehensive community driven mentorship model for all educational activity.
- Applied for and received a Federal Bi-lingual grant to conduct summer leadership programs for Native and Hispanic 4th graders in Taos County New Mexico to insure they qualified for gifted education funding during the regular school year.
- Initiated discussions with national and international educational leaders to set up and conduct international dialogues on the emerging global education.
In conjunction with the Center for RelationLearning, Las Palomas continues to encourage and support individuals and their organizations by providing visionary leadership and educational programs based on integrity, participation, dialogue, and positive relationships.